Building the life of your dreams is absolutely possible, but it will require that you have the right tools.
While many people have lofty dreams of success, not everyone who has a dream will see it fulfilled.
Here are 15 things you should embrace to achieve all that you dream and more:
1. Believe in yourself. Fulfillment of your dream will require an unshakeable confidence in yourself and your vision. Have it and you’ll push through seemingly impassable obstacles. Don’t and you quit sooner rather than later. (Read more here.)
2. Accept responsibility. The future that you want tomorrow depends on the choices that you make today. You are responsible for your choices. You are responsible for creating your future.
3. Choose to start. We’ve talked about this before. You can wait for things to be “perfect.” Or you can get started. You’ll never arrive at your destination until you choose to take the first step.
4. Develop emotional fortitude. You won’t be able to please everyone in life—even at times those closest to you. Achieving your dreams will require that you pursue them many times without the approval of others.
5. Ask for help. One is too small of a number to achieve greatness.
6. Practice daily. You will never grow higher than the level that you’re willing to practice. Just do it! Practice is the key to high achievement.
7. Commit to stay healthy. A lack of health will undermine your dream’s sustainability. Your commitment to total life health—spirit, soul, body, relationally, and financially—is vital to long-term success.
8. Align to your personal values. Have you identified your personal values? If not, you should ASAP. Without them, you are on a fast track to burnout and frustration.
9. Learn from your mistakes. Failure doesn’t have to be fatal. But it will be repeated if not evaluated. Mistakes can be learning opportunities…but to learn from anything requires intentionality.
10. Keep a positive attitude. You are in control of the outlook that you have on life. People who keep a positive attitude see opportunities for success where others see problems.
11. Embrace change. Stepping out of our comfort zones is uncomfortable. Successful people embrace change and choose to grow even in the midst of discomfort.
12. Write down your goals. You increase your chances of success exponentially simply by writing down your goals. Write your goals in this format: I will move from “X” [where I currently am] to “Y” [where I want to be in the future] by “WHEN” [the timeframe I’ll give myself to get to where I want to be].
13. Network. Most of your opportunities in life will come not from what you know but from WHO you know.
14. Practice patience. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Neither will your dream. To move a mountain, remove it one stone at a time.
15. Exercise faith. Let’s face it. When it comes to your life, there will be countless times when you don’t see what you need. All fear is rooted in a sense of inadequacy. True faith rests in a God Who’s more than enough.